Any experience here?
they recommend this awful site:
This is the content of the email I received
ARTIFACT covers essential exhibition expenses related to the following:
1. Exhibition room (3.7×5.5 m / 12’x18′), it’s maintenance and attendance during a three-week solo exhibition;
2. Gallery assistance in co-ordination of the exhibition, installation and de-installation;
3. Art storage for artwork kept on consignment;
4. Opening reception, including wine and a bartender for a 2-hour reception;
5. Printing of color invitations to the opening reception;
6. Distribution of invitations;
7. Our sales commission is 40%.
8. $100,000.00 (one hundred thousand USD) insurance for artwork on consignment.
ARTIFACT occupies a prime ground floor space in a prime art destination of Manhattan (see our space on http://vimeo.com/78958772). Overall, the gallery spends over $30,000.00 USD to make exhibitions of artists like you possible. To further promote your solo show in a competitive New York art market with over 400 galleries, you may consider marketing options which require additional funding:
1. Exhibition Catalog: Full production (graphic design, printing, delivery to the gallery) of a 24 page color catalog (11″ x 8″ / 28 x 20 cm ) featuring 12 artworks of the artist and related information; distribution of the catalogs to the select list of art critics and curators. $15 per book (100 to 500 books). Please note that there are over 300 names only in our list of the International Association of Art Critics.
2. Catalog Essay written by a a professional New York based art critic – $1200;
3. Advertising in ARTERY – one of the world’s most comprehensive online art publications http://www.arterynyc.com/. ARTERY is a marketing choice of major art museums and institutions, including MoMA, The Brooklyn Museum, The New Museum, The Andy Warhol Museum, Rochester Contemporary Art Center, International Center of Photography, The Drawing Center, Parrish Art Museum, New York Foundation For the Arts, The Jewish Museum, Walker Art Center, Dia: Beacon, Toledo Museum of Art, San Francisco MoMA, Queen Sofia Spanish Institute, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Everson Museum of Art, Neuberger Museum of Art, Japan Society, Denver Art Museum, De Cordova Museum and many others. ($1500.) ARTERY features banners of important art galleries and some of the most exclusive brands, such as Mercedes Benz and Woldorf Astoria. Our publication collaborates with the writers of the highest caliber, such as the legendary Anthony Haden-Guest (Observer, Esquire, GQ), art critic Peter Frank (LA Times) and art writer Alexandra Peers (The Wall Street Journal, New York Observer, New York Magazine).
ARTERY is a marketing venue of choice for the elite galleries and luxury brands (Mercedes Benz, Woldorf Astoria) and select artists. Advertising includes one full year artist’s profile in ARTERY Register http://www.arterynyc.com/arterist/ ($1500).
4. Public Relations:
A. Extensive multimedia campaign and requests to include the artist’s name and work in the editorial content in print and online media, including the following publications:
The NY Times, The Wall Street Journal, Newsday, Metro New York, AM-NY, Time Out New York, New York magazine, The Village Voice, The L Magazine, The New York Observer, The Daily News, The New York Post, Daily Candy, Metromix, Newark Star Ledger, Westchester Journal News, Asbury Park Press, Connecticut Post, The Onion, Chelsea Clinton News, The Westsider, West Side Spirit, IN New York, Huffington Post, Avenue, Examiner.com, What’s Up NYC, Paper Magazine, Lucid Culture, NY1, WNBC TV’s Weekend Today in New York, WNBC TV’s LXTV, WABC-TV, WCBS-TV, NYC-TV, WNYW-TV’s, The Bloomberg News.
Art & Culture
Artnet, Artforum, ARTNews, The Art Newspaper, Artinfo, Culturekiosque, Modern Painters, Art in America, ARTNewsletter, VERY Magazine, Manhattan Arts International, Art Journal, ArtsJournal, Tar, Culture Vulture, ArtDaily, ArtNews, Index, Surface, Salon.com, Slate Magazine, CityArts, Playbill, CITYist, The Brooklyn Rail, Artcat, C-Monster.
B. Securing a minimum of one review about Artist’s work in the media;
C. Requests for participation of the Artist in exhibitions at selected museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim Museum, the Whitney Museum of American Art, the New Museum.
D. Compiling and distribution of press-packages (press-release, invitation, catalog) among collectors, critics, and curators. $4000 (A, B, C, D all together)
You may select any combination which meets your goals and budget. When artists are unable to cover related expenses, we look for sponsorship. However, it takes a long time and is uncertain. Meanwhile, scheduling is time sensitive.
For gallery updates you may visit our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/artifactnyc?bookmark_t=page